skip to Main Content

Incorporating a nonprofit is done at the state level. A formation document, usually called Articles of Incorporation, are prepared and filed with the state's division of corporations.

Most states provide a boilerplate, or template document, the "blanks" of which can be completed for purposes of incorporating. It is crucial to point out, however, that very few templates meet Internal Revenue Service requirements for obtaining 501(c) status. If your intent is to seek federal tax-exempt status as a 501(c), it is advisable to seek the assistance of someone familiar with federal requirements.

For more information, see our Nonprofit Startup page.

Back To Top
Before you go, get a free copy of our helpful e-book...
Successfully Starting a New Nonprofit
  • Defining Your Nonprofit's Purpose
  • Nonprofit Ownership
  • Board of Directors
  • Executive Compensation
  • Fundraising & Compliance Basics
Start a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit
Introducing the SureStart nonprofit formation system.
Cost-Effective. Turnkey. Guaranteed!

Don’t compromise your vision. Discover just what you can accomplish with the right assistance!
Free eBook Download!
Understanding IRS Form 990
  • What is this Filing?
  • Which Version do I File?
  • When is it Due?
  • And Much More!
Free eBook Download!
Understanding Charitable Solicitations
  • What is this Filing?
  • Who Requires It?
  • Website Donations
  • And Much More!